Wednesday, June 16, 2010

As I See it

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard

My first travel that I remember of is a journey back to my parent’s hometown in Johor back in the early 1980’s. There were no highways yet back then, and it would take hours and hours just to get there. I remember driving in dad’s old Ford, dark brown in color, with one of those fan with the blue blades. We didn’t have air-conditioning back then. I remember passing by kampongs and miles of rubber-estates. I remember stopping at some random warung by the roadside in one of the villages and enjoying mee goreng with sirap ais but what I remember most are the stories that my dad used to tell as we passed by some villages with funny names, like kampong Sri Bunian. Well, it sounded funny to a 5 year old back then.

I love setting off on a journey. I love knowing the stories of a particular place from years gone by. I could just sit for hours and listen. I love to travel. The destination doesn’t really matter; it’s the journey that gets me to the destination that matters.

The creation of this blog is not as a directory or reference to travelling, only as a space for me to share the world as I see it.

1 comment: